Rick Simpson Oil or RSO is a highly-concentrated cannabis oil extracted from strains high in THC. It is named after a Canadian medical marijuana activist who has been sharing his knowledge of cannabis’ ability to heal. l If you’re just trying to get high, there are better ways. However, for many people battling diseases with no cure, RSO can be the miracle they were waiting for.
Who is Rick Simpson?
Before becoming famous for his oil, he was an engineer working in a Canadian hospital around 1997. He inhaled asbestos while working in a boiler room, fell off the ladder he was standing on and hit his head.
Colleagues brought him to the emergency room. He suffered from dizziness and ringing in his ears years after the event. Prescribed medicines had done little to aid him.
After learning about the benefits of cannabis Simpson asked his doctor about medical marijuana. His doctor was unwilling to consider it as a treatment option. So Rick had to get his weed the old school way: illegally. His symptoms were then significantly relieved.
Just as things seemed to turn for the better he got skin cancer in 2003. Simpson found a study from the Journal of the National Cancer Institute that found THC killed cancer cells in mice. So he decided to try using concentrated cannabis oil on his skin and it worked! He was healed after only 4 days.
Since then, Simpson has distributed RSO to over 5,000 people in need for absolutely no cost.
How To Make Rick Simpson Oil
To make your own Rick Simpson Oil you’ll need a decent source of cannabis. It’s recommended to use weed with at least 20% THC content. Indicas are good to use because they’re high in THC and make patients sleepy enough to get rest. We’ll give you a summary of the instructions on his official website.
Every ounce of dried weed should get you about 3 to 4 grams of potent cannabis oil. Before you get started it’s worth noting this can be a dangerous process if the proper precautions aren’t taken. Make sure everything is done somewhere with proper ventilation and no smoke or sparks ever enter the vicinity.
Our recipe should yield somewhere around 60 grams of Rick Simpson Oil. You can scale the recipe according to your needs.
- 450 to 500 grams of high-quality buds
- 8 to 9 liters of solvent (99% Isopropyl Alcohol is effective)
- Five-gallon bucket or container
- Wooden stick or paddle for stirring
- Electric rice cooker
- Large coffee filters
- Metal container
- Coffee warmer or dehydrator
- Plastic syringes (without the needles)
- Hot Pot Holders
- Add flower to bucket, pouring enough solvent over to cover
- Mash and stir the buds using your stirring device
- Add remaining solvent and continue to mix until buds are dissolved
- Strain mixture through coffee filter, using funnel to hold filter in place
- Pour some of the strained mixtures into the rice cooker, and cook over low heat IMPORTANT: This is when you want your workspace to have good ventilation. Use the large fan to blow fumes away from the rice cooker. Sparks of any kind and red-hot heating elements can pose major fire hazards when making oil. Use extreme caution.
- Continue adding additional mixture as the solvent evaporates out of the rice cooker
- Add 8 – 10 drops of water to the rice cooker once you have added the last of the mixture
- Lift rice cooker using hot pot holders and carefully swirl mixture to evaporate any remaining solvent
- Pour oil into metal container and place in dehydrator or on coffee warmer (or another low heat source)
- Allow remaining water to evaporate. This could take a couple hours depending on the method.
- Store all the Rick Simpson Oil in syringes.